Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

The truth

I was so moved by this post by Gavin's mom that I couldn't not share it here.



“So to all of you who are pregnant I say - don't be afraid to be me.  And to all of you who are sitting in the NICU next to an isolette - praying that they will tell you that your baby is fine - healthy - not 'imperfect'... don't be afraid to have a Gavin.  And to those of you who just got the diagnosis - Cerebral Palsy.  Do not despair!  Gavin, as many of you know, is the joy of our lives...and many others.  He is in many ways just like other kids his age!  He has favorite foods and favorite movies and favorite books and songs.  He loves crazy amusement rides and the ocean.  He adores his Daddy and his little brother.  He is now making friends and riding a bus to school.

When we sign up to have children, we aren't guaranteed anything.  They could be born with a disability or develop one years later.  They could be born with a defect or develop defects of character as adults.  They could be born in perfect health, or have a serious illness.  The important thing is - they are ours.” 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am moved by the post too. Thanks for sharing, Kathy!

Emma Fernandez